Sunday 2 August 2009

Betsy hen

Mark has just gone to take Betsy hen home. Betsy came to us with a prolapse and I initially treated her and she went home. On the way back she wriggled out of her bandage and had pushed the prolapse out again. Her owner tried to put it back in but didn't have much joy so Mark went to pick Betsy up for me to try again. Sadly by then, (the next day) it had dried out so was difficult to treat so all I could really do was keep slapping on the piles cream so it shrinks the bulge.
I advised a corn diet but as she lives free range it will be difficult to keep her on a separate diet so I *think* she is rejoining her flock and we've just got to keep our fingers crossed that anything liable to pop back out is shrivelled by the piles cream and therefore stays where it should do.
She lives a charmed life freeranging on lots of land and I know for a fact that she would have been put down by a vet which would be an unnecessary waste of life.
If she ever needs to come back, she can do.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lincs Little Hens

Photobucket

*** LOVELY TASTY EGGS FROM OUR HAPPY RETIRED COMMERCIAL HENS THIS MONTH

No comments: