Friday 26 June 2009

Our Mascot, Tiny

During one of the rescues in May I spotted Tiny in one of the stables. She was so dinky, in her dark greeny brown fleece and she had knees that knocked together. I HAD TO HAVE HER!
I brought her home, excitedly and as she was to be in the hospital wing aka my lounge while she recovered, we removed her fleece to see a little bag of bones underneath. She was healthy and eating well, just bald.
The day after we got her, we put her in the garden hospital pen where she could peck the ground but not be bullied by the flock. It was such a hot day I made her a T shirt so she didn't get sunburnt.
During that same week, Lexi came back to us as she was having trouble walking so I put them together knowing Tiny would be gentle and maybe teach Lexi to walk again. They have stayed together since. Lexi was VERY oven ready, totally bald on her back and is only just growing her feathers back.
Tiny has regrown speckled feathers which we didn't expect, but she looks gorgeous.
This week I asked Jill (who Lexi belonged to) to see if she could stay as I am really attached to her and Jill agreed so it looks as though they will be lifelong companions and I couldn't be happier.
I have just made a montage of all the photographs we have of Tiny so far. AS you'll see, we will be happy when new wing feathers grow as currently she has a fan of daggers.



However can farmers allow hens to get in such a state sickens me. I've seen so much worse. One hen had 1 of her legs twisted up her back and she hopped on one leg. She must've had either a birth defect or a break which had set in completely the wrong way.
WE didn't bring that hen home BUT we did bring Amy home with a swollen mass on her comb. Jo sent me with Anti Biotics and gradually they worked to a certain extent. Amy's comb is probably a quarter of the size it was and no longer interferes with the opening of her eyes. It doesn't even reach to her eyes.

We took Annalise back from our friend, Karen as we think she may have been squashed in the hen house over night and got a leg injury as a result as she had bruising. She is going to stay now too. She improved all of a sudden and although not 100%, it makes no difference to us so long as she isn't in pain and eats, drinks and behaves like other hens.

I always sympathise with the hens, knowing what a crap body I have regarding my disability makes me more compassionate and sensitive to how they must be feeling.


Photobucket

HAPPY EGGS FROM HAPPY RETIRED COMMERCIAL HENS

No comments: